Raccoon Removal Bolingbrook IL: How to Get Rid of Pesky Raccoons in Your Home
Raccoons may look cute and cuddly, but when they invade your home, they can be a real nuisance. These critters can cause damage to your property, create a mess, and even transmit diseases. If you’re dealing with a raccoon infestation in your home, it’s important to take prompt action to get rid of them. In this article, we’ll discuss effective ways to remove raccoons from your home and prevent them from coming back.
Signs of a Raccoon Infestation
The first step in getting rid of raccoons is to identify if you have an infestation. Here are some signs to look out for:
- Noises: Raccoons are active at night, so you may hear scratching, thumping, or other noises coming from your attic or walls.
- Droppings: Raccoon droppings are similar in size and shape to dog feces, but they may contain undigested food such as seeds and berries.
- Damaged property: Raccoons can cause damage to your property, such as torn insulation, chewed wires, and ripped shingles.
- Tracks: Raccoon tracks are distinctive and may be visible in areas such as your attic or crawl space.
- Smell: Raccoons have a strong odor that may be noticeable in your home.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to take action to remove raccoons from your home.
Professional Raccoon Removal Services
The most effective way to remove raccoons from your home is to hire a professional raccoon removal service. These experts have the knowledge, skills, and equipment to safely and humanely remove raccoons from your property. They will also take steps to prevent raccoons from coming back.
Professional raccoon removal services typically follow these steps:
- Inspection: A technician will inspect your property to identify the source of the raccoon infestation and any damage they may have caused.
- Trapping: The technician will set traps in strategic locations to capture the raccoons.
- Removal: Once the raccoons are caught, the technician will remove them from your property and relocate them to a safe area.
- Repair: The technician will repair any damage caused by the raccoons, such as sealing entry points and replacing damaged insulation.
- Prevention: The technician will take steps to prevent raccoons from coming back, such as installing barriers and deterrents.
Professional raccoon removal services are the safest and most effective way to get rid of raccoons. However, they can be expensive, with costs ranging from $300 to $1,000 depending on the severity of the infestation and the location of your home.
DIY Raccoon Removal Methods
If you’re on a tight budget, you may be tempted to try to remove raccoons from your home on your own. While DIY methods can be effective in some cases, they can also be dangerous and may not be as effective as professional services. Here are some DIY methods you can try:
- Live traps: You can buy or rent live traps to capture raccoons. However, it’s important to follow local laws and regulations regarding trapping and relocation of wildlife.
- Repellents: You can use repellents such as ammonia, predator urine, and bright lights to deter raccoons from entering your property. However, these methods may not be effective in the long term.
- Sealing entry points: You can seal entry points such as gaps in your roof or walls to prevent raccoons from entering your home. However, this method may not be effective if raccoons have already established a nest in your home.
If you decide to try DIY methods, it’s important to take safety precautions. Wear gloves and protective clothing when handling raccoons or setting traps. Also, be aware that raccoons can carry diseases such as rabies, so it’s important to handle them carefully.
Preventing Raccoon Infestations
The best way to deal with raccoons is to prevent them from entering your home in the first place. Here are some tips to prevent raccoon infestations:
- Seal entry points: Seal gaps in your roof, walls, and foundation to prevent raccoons from entering your home.
- Secure garbage cans: Make sure your garbage cans have tight-fitting lids to prevent raccoons from accessing them.
- Remove food sources: Don’t leave pet food or birdseed outside, as these can attract raccoons.
- Trim trees: Trim tree branches that are close to your home, as raccoons can use them to climb onto your roof.
- Install deterrents: You can install deterrents such as motion-activated lights or sprinklers to scare away raccoons.
By following these tips, you can reduce the likelihood of a raccoon infestation in your home.
Raccoons can be a real nuisance when they invade your home, but there are effective ways to get rid of them. Professional raccoon removal services are the safest and most effective option, but DIY methods can also be effective in some cases. The best way to deal with raccoons is to prevent them from entering your home in the first place by sealing entry points, securing garbage cans, removing food sources, trimming trees, and installing deterrents. If you’re dealing with a raccoon infestation, don’t hesitate to take action to get rid of them and prevent them from coming back.